“living in the states, you never see anything older than about two and a half centuries, and you have to visit the eastern fringe of the country to see that. the business traveler’s world of airports and taxicabs looks the same everywhere. randy never really believes he’s in a different country until he sees something like intramuros, and then he has to stand there like an idiot for a long time, ruminating.” – Neal Stephenson Cryptonomicon, p.50
some highlights from the week:
- got stuck in the elevator at work today. was quite the adventure.
- got the go ahead to create my own job…exciting and fearsome all at once. like playing twister with a tiger. at the same time i can be more focused on things and hopefully get some good work done.
- gears of war 3? yes please!
- gyros twice in one week = good for adam.
- 69 eyes all week ushers in autumn well.
- out all day thursday for trn makes for a short week and a good start to what looks like a great weekend?
- hotr!? it’s been too long, stranger.
- got a promotion? things just goin way to well this week!!!
all in all – FUCK YEAH
- sad that i missed the polka lessons
- ditto on tapping the golden keg.
- wished there were warsteiner, but maybe i missed it
- paulaner? MORE
- boulevard 47? alright
- new belgium hoptober -> chemicals!!!!
- leinie’s okotberfest -> o, alright
- hacker pschorr -> a little fruity for the evening
- by the end i didn’t care
- credit/debit machines not working for tickets made me lament for my not filling dwolla in advance
- beautiful night to be outside drinking good beer with friends
- giant pretzels are what real men eat with their plastic mugs of beer, not grey sausage.
- i need some fucking lederhosen, but the shits are expensive
- dirndls are goddamn hot. period.
- outhousequake 2k11
- guidos represent
- should’ve taken pics, maybe next year.
all fretting came to nothing this weekend. surprisingly enough my in-laws all got along great (most worry was about the mother-in-law and her wacky clutchiness), food was terrific, and the weather was fantabulous! highlights:
- pork shoulder took wayyyyy longer than usual, but turned out to be about the best i’ve made to date, in my opinion. big hit with all involved.
- spent a goodly amount of time outside in the 60 degree fall weather.
- backyard fire in the evening was huge. many beers (and fruity girly dacquiri things) consumed while burning lots of dead tree. my fireman brother-in-law was impressed with my skillz. learned some new things about how firefighting as a profession works.
- downtown dsm farmer’s market was a huge hit with the relatives. got some mums for $10. upon entering the elevator with annie, a complete stranger commented “that’s a nice looking pair of mums.” “you damn right” was the reply.
- any weekend with a tacopocalypse is a win, straight up.
- OKTOBERFEST! yeah, it’s cheap n corny. but hey, it’s des moines, not munich. get your stein, ogle some dirndls, drink a bunch of paulaner and eat a pretzel. drunken polka (read bobbing about like an idiot) and trying to balance in the latrines were highlights…
- lots of screening for upcoming shocktoberfest happened. yes, i’m late, but getting things sorted out for sure. more to come as it develops.
…and this is why i can’t go to half price books….
went in to pick up a copy of the summer tree by guy gavriel kay for book club; found it for $1.50. huzzah, right!
head to the counter, have to walk past the record section. aw, hell with it, i’ll take a look – most of the time it’s old disco records and a bunch of scratched up cheap junk.
INSTEAD: Continue reading »
And with that, we’re relaunched! Hopefully this tub floats.
Should anyone care to look and not be bored by all the babble, plans are so far to use this as a launching point for the forum, hub for other pages (Shocktoberfest info, etc), and general thoughts about whatever strikes my fancy; adventures, trips, vinyl, and the like.